POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Binary #write : Re: Feature Request: Binary #write Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Binary #write
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2009 12:20:00
Message: <web.49ca59866dca0b64c1f399840@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Interesting you mention this. I have a dim memory about the wish (by the POV
> Team?) to upgrade 3.6.1 for some specific things. Nothing really extreme
> (that is what 3.7 is for) but to correct, streamline, update known issues.
> However, somebody has to do the work and I can readily imagine that all
> available time is already spent on 3.7 and beyond. No real complaint either.
> That is life...

The 3.7 being as it is, I think a 3.6.2 would be obsolete even before it sees
the light of day.

Just have a look at the beta test newsgroup: What are the most frequent
complaints? Right: People complaining that the current beta isn't yet available
for their system...

Even radiosity seems to be working properly now, except for speed at high
recursion depths (for which a solution is in the making, too).

Yes, 3.7.0.beta.31 is still a long way to go for an official release that meets
the intended quality standards; however, I think it is about fit for practical
use by now (I've actually ceased to use 3.6-generation POV except when I want
special features of MegaPOV or MCPov... or when I need a performance reference
for another benchmarking scene).